I have a one month old! Since I just posted a week ago, I don't need to post about the things he is doing..the answer is still "not too much". However, we have had a turn-around with his sleeping. He went from being VERY fussy and only sleeping well if we held him, to sleeping really well.
The truth is, we have started letting him sleep on his stomach for naps during the day. He still sleeps swaddled on his back at night but since he is sleeping well during the day, he is getting good sleep at night. You would think if they have rough days with little to no sleep then they would sleep good at night but that is NOT the case. I am aware of SIDS and why they say not to let them sleep on their tummies, but at some point you have to use common sense and since I can monitor him well during the daytime naps, I'm going to let him sleep on his tummy! Plus, he already raises his head well and can turn it if he chooses.
I also think we were overstimulating him during "waketime" and not putting him in his crib while he slept. Trial and error I guess. I think it was just too noisy for him in our house to sleep in his swing during the day.
If you are a new mom or a mom that remembers, how many ounces does your baby eat or did they eat at 4 weeks? How much time did they spend awake after each feeding? How long would they sleep? I'm just trying to get an idea if we are about average. I hear so many different answers on this.
My sweet baby boy is 3 weeks old today. I am going to be one of those people that says "my how time flies" and it does. Wow, it truly seems like yesterday I was headed to the hospital..and in other ways that feels like centuries ago. Life is much sweeter with this baby in our lives. He might not be able to do much yet, but we are loving the little things. So far, these are things I like and have noticed about Baker.
1. He HAS to have his paci at all times. He sleeps with one in his mouth which is probably a hazard but otherwise, there will be no sleeping.
2. He pees and poops on me all the time, but never on Brent. Perhaps you know who changes him the most. JK Brent. ( this is more in the "noticed" category instead of "like" category.
3. My severe paranoia has subsided a touch. I was overboard with worry for him and after much prayer I have handed that to God and hoping that everyday I have the right amount of concern for him, but not worry. Its certainly more freeing.
4. At the moment he is not as interested in sleeping as I would like him to be. Maybe I should say "sound sleeping". He wakes up very frequently to grunt and strain.
5. Grunting and straining are a huge part of his little day.
6. He smiled at me today. I think it was an accident but I didnt care. I can't wait for him to really smile at us!
7. I LOVE the way he looks and smells after his bath. He is getting more used to the bath but still hates getting out. It must be awfully cold because he freaks out in the few seconds of transition from tub to towel. Sad few seconds.
8. He loves his swing. Its been a great thing to have because he is usually pretty content to sit in it for a while. Thanks Hayes for letting us use yours!
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Colossians 3: 12-14