Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Oh the controversy


It was only a matter of time before I posted about my new favorite show "Toddlers and Tiaras". If you have not seen it, it comes on TLC on Tuesdays at 9:00. (Tonight)

I don't know what is more entertaining, the actual show or the controversy surrounding the show. Basically, its a documentary on families that put their babies through teenagers in pageants.

I have been in a few school pageants and I always thought they were fun. I dont think it effected my self esteem when I didn't win, however I was in high school. My main issue with this show is that when a toddler doesn't win "Grand Supreme" (which sounds like a burrito) some of these parents get crazy. I have actually heard one parent say "I dont know how Im going to explain to her that she just didnt do well at all today" AKA "My child was not pretty enough today." The kid is 3!!!! I am not ok with that.

How about the "flippers"? These parents actually get false teeth (called flippers) for their child to wear so they have a perfect smile. Are you kidding me with this?? Really? Children arent supposed to have perfect teeth! Most of these kids just grew teeth! Then there are the spray tans. Self explanatory why this is dumb.

So, you can see why this is good T.V. I have seen and heard comments about these shows and people get really fired up about it. Exploting children, giving them a superficial hobby, etc. I, for one, am entertained.

3 comments:

Kellie said...

I've caught a ffew glimpses of thta show a couple of times - usually I have trouble staying awake long after 9:00 to watch and I'm sure if I DVRed it my husband would think I was crazy!!!! Anyway, I agree wholeheartedly with you!

Kristin said...

UM, BTW...I am OBSESSED with this show!!! I love it! I watch it allll the time!!!!

Emily Chappell said...

I have set my DVR to record...

I have never heard of the teeth thing. That is pretty much child abuse...

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Colossians 3: 12-14