Tuesday, September 9, 2008

New Last Name

I love being married. It is so fun to wake up next to Brent and know that I'm coming home to him every day. No more driving to and from Tuscaloosa and Birmingham and that is great. The hardest part to me so far is having a new last name. I have been a Kennedy my whole life, almost 28 years. When will I get used to saying, "Lindsey Jones"? Also, right now is that in between stage of not knowing which last name to give the public. For example, when I called to make a dentist appointment I said Lindsey Kennedy in case they looked at my ID or old insurance cards, but then I said "Well, its actually Jones b/c he is our policy holder". However, my name is not officially changed on my social security card. It's all so confusing. I guess it will be a slow process.
I have to admit it makes me a little sad to give up this last name. It has been my identity to everyone I've ever known. Not that they won't know me anymore, but it just seems weird to totally change it now. It is a small price to pay though to have Brent though.

5 comments:

Beth said...

You will ALAWAYS Lindsey Kennedy, Kennelb, Bridgers (even though you wouldn't tell us what "B" meant for about 15 years), Lins, Troll Butt. We'll just add Jones to your many alias'. Lindsey Jones has a nice ring! You'll get used to it!

Katie said...

Just do what I did and not take his name or go by both yours and his last name. I am still having a hard time taking Brett's last name. I feel like a lose a part of my identity by not being Troncale. That all sounds horrible.

Carrie said...

I know exactly what you mean. Almost exactly. Becoming a Jones myself was hard. Because Carrie Key was who I was. I'm still not sure about Carrie Jones. And sometimes I forget to answer to Mrs. Jones at school. And there are so many Joneses it is hard to keep up :)

meredith said...

I know what you mean. When I introduce myself I have to think really hard about what my name is. Sad, I know! Just know you will always be a Kennedy no matter what. Just like I will always be a Nailen. Being married is awesome! Congrats and I hope you and Brent have many happy blessings throughout your life together!

Meredith

kristen elaine said...

yes yes yes. i can sympathize! you'll get used to it though. it takes a while:)

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Colossians 3: 12-14