Monday, July 18, 2011

What I learned on vacation...

Brent and I had a lovely, childless time in Seagrove, FL this weekend.


We left from my work on Thursday and took Baker to Dothan to stay with his grandparents. We left Dothan around 10:00 p.m. so we could go stay at the beach Thursday night and wake up at the beach.

I learned a few things from this trip that I would like to share.

1. Everything is easier without a toddler. I don't want to imply that I wish I did not have a toddler, because I love that boy more than life itself, but all things in one's daily life are easier when a toddlers needs don't dictate everything you do and how you do it.


2. I can, in fact, sleep past 6:00 if I'm allowed to.



3. Rain does not effect a good time at the beach.


4. Rain does not prevent one from going on the beach and relaxing.
Picture it: Pouring down rain, Brent and myself trecking down to the beach with 2 beach chairs, an umbrella, a cooler and a bag full of "stuff" as if it was 90 degrees and sunny. Then, having a "can you hit the stick with the koosh ball" contest for a while. I am not a big fan of super hot days on the beach anyway, so this actually might have been my ideal.

5. Baker Man does not like sand. (We met up with my parents in PCB to get Baker back and he walked on the sand for 2 seconds and then asked to be held.)
6. Brent's and my normal life run like a well-oiled machine. We are more scheduled than I even realized. So much so that when we are given tons of free time and zero responsibility, we arent really sure how to use it.


7. We cannot sleep without a TV. Period. Our condo did not have a TV in the bedroom so we had to resort to watching YouTube videos of How I Met Your Mother on Brent's phone. Really? Thats sad.


8. I have a karaoke max of 4 hours and Brent's is unlimited...


9. Singing with Brent at karaoke means your voice will be overshadowed. I'm just sayin'.

10. Flip Flops Grill is completely awesome. Our condo was 50 yards ( i'm not good at estimating distances..lets just say very close) from Flip Flops Grill and we ate all breakfast there and one lunch and we were sad we didn't eat all meals there, honestly. This place was once "Beach Java" which was equally great for us. This place made an impression on me so I bought a T-shirt. I.never.buy.T-shirts.anywhere. Even as a middle schooler when all my friends HAD to have that Fudruckers T-shirt or Billy's Bar & Grill or Hard Rock Cafe, I never sucumed to the pressure. Not sure why, I just never cared. Point is, for me to buy a T-shirt means that this place really means something to me.


11. You have to be a super model to eat at the Roly Poly in Seaside. This is actually a discovery made a few years ago, but I wanted to throw it in there because its always makes us laugh when we go back. Brent and I felt so ugly that day. HA!


12. Angelina's in Seagrove is worth sacrificing a seafood meal for Italian. We have loved this place for years and it just never disappoints.
Pretty sure my make-up didnt look this "clownish" in person


13. No matter how relaxing and nice it was, this boy is still wonderful to come home to. Thanks to Shug & Daggy for entertaining this boy all weekend. He came back looking relaxed, healthy and happy. Its always nice to know they are in good hands!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I am so glad y'all had a good time! I saw your mobile uploads of Baker and thought you had taken him on your anniversary trip! Glad to know you had "alone" time!

Jessica said...

Big dittos from the Steltenpohls...life is much easier without a toddler...especially the beach life. And of course that comes with the obligatory disclaimer of "of course, I can't imagine my life without them and love them to pieces"...but I totally know the feeling of complete relaxation that you just can't get with a child around. I'm glad you guys enjoyed your time away. Its good for everyone to have a little break every now and then.

kristen elaine said...

what a nice vacay!!

ps – we have just discovered How I Met Your Mother & LOVE it. we've started from the beginning, with the goal of all 6 seasons. it's a must at middle of the night feedings:)

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Colossians 3: 12-14