Friday, January 9, 2009

Intervention of Intervention

Ok, raise your hand if you are obsessed with this show like I am? No one? Right. I know, its ridiculous to get sucked into it. I dont' know what it is, but I LOVE this show. I think in some sick way, it makes me feel better about myself, that I'm not as messed up as these people are. It puts my misfortunes into perspective.

I just watched one episode where this girl, Nicole, has a special kind of eating disorder. She is not anorexic or bulimic, but she refuses to swallow anything for fear of choking. Ok, now wait a minute. You are afraid of choking to death, so you choose to starve slowly instead? I know, these people have deep rooted issues- for example: Nicole was molested as a child and her parents took her to couseling, but didnt call the police or go after this guy at all. So, she has just been dealing with this traumatic instance by not eating or drinking..ever...in 14 years. She has to eat through a feeding tube. The tube was supposed to be temporary, but she has been wearing it for 14 years!! WHAT?

When everyone else sits down at the table to eat, she sits down with a serenge and pushes the food into her stomach herself.

Sub-plot is she has 2 small children that she won't wake up to feed. They have to call their dad at work to try to wake up their mom so she will feed them. How sad is that?

You have to admit this is interesting? Disturbing, sad, etc..., but interesting.

4 comments:

Robin said...

I too get sucked in to these things on tv. I have not seen this one. Love and miss you..

Kristin said...

I am so enthralled........ you are not alone!

Anonymous said...

I saw this episode and literally felt nauseated the whole time...but I couldn't look away! like watching a train-wreck, I guess.

Emily Chappell said...

I am very intrigued by the stomach injection thing. Doesn't that girl know what she is missing? I can't imagine never tasting a milkshake or french fries. I wonder what will happen to her. And how do you not drink??

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Colossians 3: 12-14