Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Lion King 3D; a Jones Family Nightmare

The first Baker movie experience = EPIC FAIL.

Being the brilliant parents we are, we thought Sunday would be a fantastic day to take Baker to his first movie. Afterall, the boy LOVES movies. He will sit quietly at home and watch an entire movie sometimes. So we thought, since the Lion King is in our theatres in 3D for only a short time, he will love it...(Stupid thought #1)

Well, here is how the story goes. Read on if you want to feel better about the behavior of your own child.

First, we should have seen the enormous-slap-you-in-the-face red flag when he started a tantrum before we ever got in the car. He has been sick and is on medicine that makes him cray-cray, but we still wanted to take our chances. (Stupid thought #2)

We get there and Baker enthusiastically states "I go to MOOBIE" Great. He's excited!

Immediately he wants to get down in line for the tickets. "No, you can't there are cars all around and lots of people."

The walk to our theatre, equally protested.

Brent thought if we made him sit down in a seat from the beginning he would know this was not a playground. One of many ways we were wrong. (Stupid thought #3)

Tired of fighting him, we allow him to do one walk through of the theatre, up the stairs, down the stairs and across the front hoping he got it out of his system. Nope. (Stupid thought #4)

The final attempt at making him sit in a seat (we are on about preview #2 at this point) resulted in high pitched screaming and many many stares. I was that person I hate in movie theatres that bring their 2 year old to the movies. 2?? Come on lady? Who brings a baby to a movie?

So, I take him "out" into the hallway where he continues his fit of screams. Brent stays in the theatre with our stuff. Finally, I gave up and realized if we ask for our money back now they will surely understand. So, I find a manager (Baker still screaming) to ask for our money back. As I'm talking to her Baker uses all of his body weight to shove her as hard as he can. Excellent.

I can't even take him back into the theatre to get Brent so another employee has to do that.

I bet the Lion King 3D is great fun. We will never know. I do not plan to attempt the movies again until around age 7?

Again I say, Epic FAIL.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh my gosh. I cringed for you while I read this. I can imagine our experience would be similar. At least you got out early enough to get your money back and without making anyone really upset- that was a smart call!

April said...

So sad:( Reminded me of when we took my brother to his first movie when he was Baker's age. He was 2, I was 5 and the movie was Bambi. All was somewhat well until the forest caught on fire. Adam stood up in his seat and yelled "FIRE FIRE FIRE" at the top of his lungs, crying and pointing to make sure everyone else was aware of the "FIRE!" Embarrassing then, funny now. Trust me:)

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Colossians 3: 12-14